The “Old Town” in Kos is a bustling pedestrian area with plenty of shops and lots of cafes and restaurants. The main street that goes through it starts off from Eleftheria square and ends up at Diagoras square. It is full of life during the whole summer period from April to end of October. It is definitely worth a visit.
It was the constant reference point of the pre-seismic fibre of the city. A road arbitrarily designed, the road of “Halouvazia” (currently Ifaistou and Apellou streets) led from the western side of the Defterdar Mosque, in the Foro square, to the Halouvazia neighbourhood and the remote New Gate settlement to the south-west Muslim quarter (junction of Gregoriou E’ and B. Ipirou streets).
The Artisans Quarter (Quartiere Artigiano) or “Halouvazia”
Halouvazia was a small industrial area, with all sorts of housing and craftsmen shops, to serve the needs of the local population – and is still the central core of the urban fabric. It was part of the great Muslim quarter of the period before the earthquake as it had developed during the Ottoman period.
Along Ifaistou and Apollou streets, there are still representative samples of folk architecture of the period before the earthquake, with Aegean or Byzantine influences as well as several social houses of the post-seismic era (1934-1937) organised by the social housing construction program of the fascist period of the Italian administration (1912-1943).