The Plane Tree of Hippocrates is located opposite the entrance of the Castle of Neratzia and the Gazzi Hassan mosque. According to legend Hippocrates used to teach under the shade of the tree.The current tree is only about 500 years old, but may possibly be a descendant of the original tree which allegedly stood there 2400 years ago, in Hippocrates’ time. The tree has become hollowed out over the years, and some branches are supported by metal scaffolding.
Next to the plane tree of Hippocrates is a fountain in an ancient bas-relief urn of white marble, built by the Turkish Governor Gazi Hassan. An engraved phrase in old Turksih script reads: “Gazi Hassan erected the fountain and water flowed from the spring of Hippocrates (ie Vourina spring) in 1200 (ie 1786 AD)”.
Many medical colleges and schools across the world have or claim to have pieces of the original tree or trees seeded from it.