The Kefalos castle was probably built during the late 14th century or early 15th century. Its location more than the strength of its fortifications made it a stronghold worthy of its name as it stood up to all the attacks of the Ottomans. The castle suffered from the erosion of the surrounding plateau and was subject to a lot of damage following the 1493 earthquake. Work started on the restoration until 1505 but the castle defences were then abandoned by the Knights of St John. However, the area seems to have kept on being inhabited during the 16th and 17th century, although it is not quite clear whether it maintained its military function during the Ottoman era or whether it was just used as a dwelling. The remains of the castle are located within the current town of Kefalos and overlook the bay of Kamari, Aghios Stefanos and the island of Kastri.