The Church of the Metamorphosis of Christ (Transfiguration of Christ) was built on the peak of Mount Dikaios at 846 meters and dominates over the whole island. As in many other locations on the island, this church was built atop an older early Christian church. The church is orthogonal in shape (4.82 X 3.85 meters), has an arched roof and features a small dome in the middle of the structure with an internal diameter of around 0.8 meters. This feature is actually quite rare. The Church of the Metamorphosis of Christ is composed of parts from four different eras ranging from the 13th century to the 20th. There are a number of caves and cells built around the periphery of the church which were inhabited probably from the Roman times. Two cells were built by the Koan monk Arsenios Skinouris around 1079, when he began to lead a hermit’s life with other monks. A deep rain water cistern was built in front of the chapel.
During the Ottoman period, the biggest christian celebration on the island took place every 6 August at the monastery of Dikios, on the feast day of the Transfiguration of Christ. During this celebration, the votive offerings of the faithful were profuse. The pilgrims who ascended Dikios by foot used to stop and rest at half-way, where there was a large square stone (the so-called resting place of Panayia, St Mary). After the ceremony, the pilgrims descended to Agios Georgios the Thiriavli where they continued the feast,
Nowadays, the name day is still celebrated on the 6th of August and a liturgy take place on the eve.