The Aghios Pavlos Basilica (Saint Paul) is situated on the right hand side of the main road just after Zipari on the way to Kos Town. This early Christian Basilica that was found in 1935, dates to the 5th or 6th century AD and is linked to Apostle Paul who stayed briefly in Kos, on his way back to Jerusalem in 57 AD, according to the New Testament.
According to archaeologists, the Aghios Pavlos basilica of was located at the North end of a settlement, whilst the Kapama Basilica occupied the opposite end, and was surrounded by a large ecclesiastical complex with priests’ residences, devotional areas and other buildings.
The Aghios Pavlos Basilica is quite big (21.60×15 m) with a significant part still intact. It comprises three naves and beautiful mosaics on the floor. The foundations of the pulpit (ambo) and its two stairways are visible in the middle aisle of the church. In its SW corner, the walls of a square baptistery with a cross-shaped font are still preserved.