Panagia Kouvoukliani or Church of Koimisis this Theotokou (church of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary) is situated in the village of Zia and dates from the Byzantine period. The church belongs to a Byzantine type of the simple four column cross bearing church with a dome and ante nave. The two storey exterior ante nave was added in 1919. Today the church has new murals.
According to local tradition Panagia Kouvoukliani was built by Saint Christodoulos but there is no evidence to support this theory. The Patmos Monastery archives refer to it as Moni ton Spondon that was built in the 11th century. It flourished as a monastery in the middle of the 12th century, under the reign of Emperor John II Komninos (1118-1143). Amongst its property dependency was the chapel Eisodia tis Theotokou in Kefalovrysi, from the depths of which gushes plentiful irrigation water.