The remains of the tripartite Basilica of Agia Theotis (Holy Trinity) were brought to light by the German archaeologist Rudolf Herzog in June 1900, as he was looking for the temple of Apollo near the coast of Kardamena, near the river Potamia. Before him, the Bavarian archaeologist Ludwig Ross, while visiting Kos in 1844, visited the ruins of the basilica of Agia Theotis, where he saw several scattered Doric capitals, cornice fragments and other pieces, as well as an inscription.
The excavations revealed the foundations of this basilica whose middle marble Altar Table was left intact. The arch was built with white and grey marble, as well as building material coming from ancient monuments like the Temple of Apollo in Alasarna.
(Source: V. Hatzivasileiou, History of the island of Kos)