The Cathedral Church of Agios Nikolaos (Saint Nicholas) was initially located in what is now the Eastern Archaeological area, but suffered irreparable damages from the 1933 earthquake and was demolished on 2 May 1934 by the Italians.
The new church of Agios Nikolaos was built in its current location in 1939. It was completely financed by the Italian government, except for the wall enclosure of the courtyard. A type of chiseled (porous) stone was used, coming from the Groikos region of Patmos. The 8 marble columns, the iconostasis, the bishop’s throne and all the square slabs of the floor from the previous church were placed in the new one.