Kos Top

The Kermete Mosque

The Kermete Mosque is situated in the Platani region near Kos Town. It is the only fully operational Mosque on the island of Kos. The surrounding village originally known as Kermetes was renamed Platani in 1964 in an effort to limit the appellations of Turkish origin. Most of the 1500 muslims living on the island actually live in this little village. The Mosque was built in 1778 by Hadji Hasan Pasa.  There is a small building close to the Mosque which is used as a library and houses a number of old Turkish books. There are also a couple of taps used for ablutions. The remains of the original ablution area are situated opposite the Mosque on the other side of the street.











jg. Powered by Blogger.