Kos Top

Neratzia Castle

The Neratzia Castle is situated at the entrance of the Kos Harbor. It faces the Halikarnassos Castle situated just opposite on the Turkish coasts with which it collaborated to control the strategic straits between Kos and Turkey. The Castle was built by the Knights of St-John of Jerusalem who ruled on the island from 1314 to 1512. The Castle was initially built on an island and it's entrance is situated at the Square of the Hippocrates Plane Tree, where a bridge crosses the Palm Tree Avenue which used to be a Moat until the beginning of the 20th century.
The inner Keep was built around the 14th century while the outer Keep dates from the end of the 15th/beginning of the 16th century. Between the two keeps there is a moat and the entrance to the Inner Keep is a sloping bridge.

Neratzia Castle Kos


















Neratzia Castle KosNeratzia Castle Kos




Neratzia Castle Kos

Neratzia Castle Kos




Neratzia Castle KosNeratzia Castle Kos



Neratzia Castle KosNeratzia Castle Kos


jg. Powered by Blogger.