Kos Top

The Catholic church


Catholic Chuch Kos




There used to be three Catholic churches on Kos island, but the only one left, actually more of a chapel than a church, is situated in the Southern part of Kos Town, right next to the Catholic cemetery, which is, in accordance with the 1948 agreement, still administered by the Catholic Church. It is dedicated to the Holy Cross but is often called Agnus Dei because of the name of the local parish. The initial structure was built in the 1920s but had to be rebuilt by the Italians after the devastating 1933 earthquake. The Catholic Church is attended to by the Franciscan fathers of the Custody of the Holy Land serving at the Archdiocese in Rhodes. The cypress trees on both sides lead to the impressive entrance, a granite portal decorated with crosses and ritual symbols in golden brass. The church is cylindrical in shape and the wide windows on all sides offer plenty of light. The congregation is currently composed of a growing number of people from different countries, that have settled in Kos.

Holy Masses are celebrated:
Saturday 18.00
Sunday 11.00 & 18.00



Catholic Church Kos
Catholic Church Kos


Catholic Church KosCatholic Church Kos


Catholic Church KosCatholic Church Kos



jg. Powered by Blogger.